Friday 11 July 2014

Caffeine, Chocolate And Alcohol – Treats For Us Bad Lethal For Our Feline Friends

I would feel like an irresponsible crazy cat lady if I didn’t pass on this valuable information to other cat lovers out there. To me, my cats George and Lulu are like my children, and their well being is of prime importance. When it comes to their diets, I always ensure they have high quality cat food. Recently, I even began ordering their Cat Food Online, so I could have easy access to all their favorites. Plus, I found a cool website that sold this special brand of Cat Food Called Purina Pro Plan that is developed by vets and nutritionists with extra vitamins and minerals to help your cat live a long and healthy life.

While I try and make sure I don’t let them eat too much human food, sometimes I allow them to have a little treat and lick my bowl, or give them a bit of food from my plate. However, I was shocked to find out that this can be extremely bad for them. Unknown to me, there are dangers lurking in my own fridge and pantry that are putting my cats at great risk. With this valuable knowledge, I will definitely be sticking to their trusty cat food and there are some foods I will never let them near. Below I have outlined the foods you should never give your cat.

Tuna

While cats love this tasty fish, it should never be a main part of your cat’s diet. While a little bit of tuna on occasions won’t do any damage, too much tuna can lead to mercury poisoning. It can also cause malnutrition in your cat, as it does not contain the nutrients they need to be fit and healthy.

Onions, garlic, chives
While as cooks we put onion in everything, for your feline friend consumption of it can cause anemia. No matter what form the onion comes in, cooked, dehydrated, powdered or raw, onion has the ability to break down your cat’s red blood cells. Don’t stress if your cat sneaks a little taste of onion, however if they are eating small amounts on regular occasions or a large quantity all at once, it can cause onion poisoning. As well as onions, it’s also important for your cats to avoid chives and garlic, as these foods can cause gastrointestinal upset.

Diary products


Did you know that most cats are lactose intolerant? That’s right, offering them a saucer of mile or a slice of cheese may seem like a good idea, however their digestive systems cannot process diary foods. The result is often digestive upset and diarrhea.

Alcohol

A cat’s liver and brain is affected by alcohol, just like ours. However, owing to their size it takes far less time to do the damage. Scarily, a 5-pound cat can fall into a coma after drinking just two teaspoons of whiskey, and can die after consuming one more teaspoon.

Grapes and Raisins

Despite being used as a treat for pets, grapes and raisins are a big ‘no no’ for cats as they can cause kidney failure. It only takes a small amount of the food to make a cat ill, with hyperactivity and repeated vomiting early signs. It’s a good idea to keep grapes and raisins out of your cats reach.

Caffeine

For most people, caffeine is their drug of choice in the mornings, however for cats it can be fatal. Whether it’s coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, cola or Red Bull, your cat definitely shouldn’t be consuming it. If your cat experiences caffeine poisoning, unfortunately there is no antidote. Cats who experience caffeine poisoning will display symptoms including restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors and fits.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a toxic agent called the bromine and is lethal for cats. It can cause abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and death. Normally, most cats won’t eat it on their own accord, however some owners may persuade them to eat it, thinking they are giving their cat a treat. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate are the most dangerous sorts of chocolate, however all kinds of chocolate, even white, are bad.

Lollies and Gum

A sweetener called xyilitol is known to increase your cat’s insulin levels, leading to drops in blood sugar. It can be the cause of liver fail and symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Foods that contain xylitol include baked goods, gum, lollies, toothpaste and some diet foods. If a cat consumes xylitol, it may have a seizure following ingestion and them can experience liver fail just days later.

Next time you consider giving your feline friend a little treat from your bowl, stop and think. While you might feel like you’re doing the right thing, you must remember you’re actually risking your cat’s health. I myself still like to give my cats a treat, which is why I stocked up on some special cat treats and food from Pookinuk’s online site at http://pookinuk.com.au/.

No comments:

Post a Comment